Island Locksmith of
According to the United States Census Bureau, Barrington has a total
area of 15.4 square miles (39.9 km²),
of which, 8.4 square miles (21.8 km²) of it
is land and
7.0 square miles (18.2 km²) of it (45.46%)
As of the census
of 2000, there were 16,819 people, 6,011 households, and 4,712 families
residing in the town. The population density was 1,998.1 people per
square mile (771.2/km²). There were 6,199 housing units at an
average density of 736.4 per square mile (284.3/km²).
The land in
Barrington was originally granted by
the King of England to members of the Mayflower
parts of the town retain names from this land grant, including Prince's
Hill, named for Thomas Prince.
Barrington was part of swansea, Massachusetts from
its incorporation in 1667 (part of the Plymouth Colony until the merger
with Massachusetts in 1691).
residents petitioned for separation from Swansea in 1711, and
Barrington was incorporated as an independent town in 1717. It was
named after Barrington, Somerset, where many of the English settlers
Barrington was ceded to Rhode Island but
made a part of Warren, Rhode Island. In 1770, its independence was
restored by the Rhode Island legislature.
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century
Barrington was home of the Barrington Brick Works, which made bricks
that were used in construction worldwide. Many laborers from Italy
lived in Barrington and worked in the brickyard. Their descendents
still make up a significant portion of the town population.
Since the 1980s, Barrington has attracted an
increasingly affluent population, drawn from academics, professionals
and executives who work in Providence.